Thursday, March 27, 2014

More book illustrations?!

Here is the process work for yet another illustration. This is a composition you have seen before if you follow my blog but the execution here is new, bigger, and better! I needed to create a more polished final to include in the dummy for my book. So here is the old, smaller execution of this piece:

I then transferred this drawing to a larger board:

Starting to add some shading:

Getting closer to finishing the drawing:

 Adding ink washes:

Pastel over the ink washes:

Refining the pastel drawing:

Adding the little bit of color to the drawing:

Some digital alterations for the final and tadaa:

Nearly ready to submit!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Process for (another) book illustration!

Here's the process for another of my book illustrations.
So back in the fall I worked out the thumbnail sketch for this piece. You can see it here, and here you can see the small scale color concept piece.

To submit my dummy I need a few final images of my illustrations to show the publisher what I am capable of and to give them an idea of what to expect as far as quality. So I took my small scale color concept for this illustration and made it into a full sized illustration.

I made a couple compositional changes for this one.

-I added more hands in different positions because I received feedback that former hand appeared to be taking away the jar rather than putting it down. I also wanted to show multiple people bringing jars for the boy to use, rather than just the one.

-I added the cat, as I want to him to appear at least once on every page spread. (As a child I always enjoyed having something to search for on every page).

-I also added more white space in the upper right hand corner as that is where the text will float.

Now for the process, I started with the graphite drawing with ink washes over top:

Then I started adding color with watercolor under paintings to select areas:

Then for the pastel color and value:

Starting to block out white areas with gesso:

And for the final I added some pastel shadows/reflections over top of it all (finally those jars are grounded):

One final illustration closer to being ready to submit my manuscript/dummy to publishers. Thanks for looking!