Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving/Competition

Hello! I hope everyone had a marvelous Thanksgiving, I spent the day stuffing my face and feeling overwhelmingly grateful to be self employed and able to take any days off I want to spend with friends and family. What a great deal this freelance artist thing is...

I also spent the last week completing (I think it's complete, why don't you all tell me what you think) a piece for a Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Award competition. It is called the Tomie dePaola Award and last year a friend and fellow illustrator (Katia Wish) won last year's competition. So now that I know she's out of the pool of competitors I thought I might have a chance. Each year the award is given to the creator of the best illustration for the given selection of text. This year the text to illustrate is from Chicken Licken.

So they went along and went along until they met Turkey Lurkey
“Good morning, Goosey Loosey, Ducky Daddles, Cocky Locky, Henny Penny,
and Chicken Licken,” said Turkey Lurkey, “where are you going?”
“Oh, Turkey Lurkey, the sky is falling and we are going to tell the King!”
“How do you know the sky is falling?” asked Turkey Lurkey.
“Ducky Daddles told me,” said Goosey Loosey.
“Cocky Locky told me,” said Ducky Daddles.
“Henny Penny told me,” said Cocky Locky.
“Chicken Licken told me,” said Henny Penny 
“I saw it with my own eyes, I heard it with my own ears,
and a piece of it fell on my tail!” said Chicken Licken.
“Then I will go with you,” said Turkey Lurkey, “and we will tell the King!”



Here is what I came up with:

The sky is falling!

Like I said I think it's done, but please any constructive criticism is welcome! I still have a couple weeks until the deadline. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Good job! I really like it, it has a very vintage look to it. The only criticism I have (and that's only if you want it because it's good how it is too), is that I think the birds can be more luminescent. Particularly around the edges just to give it a better sense of light and depth. I think the warm and earthy color palette and textures make the birds blend in to each other a little bit.

    But that's just what my unexperienced-in-art opinion is so don't take it too seriously! But seriously, it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renata! Cody has given me that same critique, I guess it's time to listen to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Margaux, great job. What may help is just clarifying the value structure of the birds against the background. Maybe just lightening the value of the background to give atmospheric perspective and help the birds pop forward more. Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THOSE PATTERNS! Heh!
    Maybe you could bring up the chicken lickens value a little. But that's nit picking.
    I think it looks great. Love the palette, the composition and those textures! Seriously. I love that damn turkey!
    Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Yeah patterns, I will never escape them! Chicken licken's value has been the problem all along...I've tried bringing the value up and down but I think you are right a little bit brighter in value is the way to go. Perhaps I will also create a little more atmosphere with brightening up the background too like Rendez said...

    ReplyDelete