Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bird Matryoshka

I am working on a bird matryoshka set as a commission. There are seven nesting dolls in this particular set and and the birds in decreasing order are as follows: emperor penguin, barn owl, macaw parrot, magpie, cardinal, chick, and hummingbird. I am loving this project and wish I could make bird dolls exclusively for the rest of my life. I may eventually get bored with them but right now I am just enthralled with what incredible subjects birds are.

Emperor Penguin

Barn owl


For these I am using a mixture of acrylic paint and colored pencils on gessoed wood. Hope you like!

The family

6 comments:

  1. That is adorable! What a cool idea too to use something other than the standard Russian girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautifully designed and crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks everyone! I have really enjoyed doing these and I'm glad it comes across.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are looking really awesome so far, can't wait to see the rest and how they are going to look all together.

    ReplyDelete